A Time to Swear

Kyra's Garden: No Swearing Required
My first job, and one of my first memories, was “walking beans”. From the middle of June, until the soybeans grew into a matted mass, my mom and my sisters and my brother, along with most other Midwestern farm kids, began each morning by 6am walking up and down miles of rows of soybean fields, pulling each and every weed. By the root. (It didn’t count if you didn’t get the root.) We ended by noon or so, before it got too hot.

Back at home, the five of us kids would jostle for a bit of cool from the window air conditioner in the dining room, waiting for our turn in the bathroom, while mom cooked us all lunch, refilled our milk jugs with water to freeze for the next day’s work, washed our stinking clothes, and helped Dad into his El Camino to inspect our work.  (My dad had mobility issues due to MS. But that’s another story.)

I could go on and on about walking beans, the ankle-spraining cement-hard clods of mud, and the bugs, and the stories we shared, safe within the monotony of the rows…

(Hang on, I’ll get to the swearing part pretty soon…)

…the leaves that cut your arms and legs like razors, the never-ending green you see for hours afterwards when you close your eyes, the pride you felt when you could “take 4 rows” instead of just the 2 on either side of you, and the evolution to spraying Round-Up on individual weeds from a “bean bar” attached to the front of a tractor, to Round-Up Ready seed and the loss of rural youth summer employment.  But I won’t talk about that.  Not today.

Today, I want to talk about “bean walking talk”…

(Here it comes…)

… the only time we were allowed to swear. My family wasn’t particularly religious, and my parents weren’t particularly strict, but we were expected to act like ladies and gentlemen. Unless you were walking beans.

Since then, I’ve discovered other times it’s OK to swear.

Like when you’re living with cancer. Specifically, when you’re a young adult living with cancer. How the hell are you supposed to deal with that?

Well, that’s exactly what the organization “Shit That I Knit” (or “Sh*t That I Knit” for those who’ve never walked beans. Or who’ve never had cancer) is all about. They sell knitted goods made by women in Peru, purchased at a fair profit, and provide free knitting kits and support for young adults living with cancer.

How cool is that?

Here’s an organization willing to swear out loud for a cause, while doing something positive about it. If that’s not amazing, I’ll eat my f*cking bean walking shoes!

Right now, “Shit That I Knit” (yes, I’m swearing and I’m not even walking beans!!) is sponsoring a contest for original beginner-level knitting patterns using one ball of super bulky (specifically Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick) yarn, and size 15 (big) knitting needles, that speaks to the mission of “Shit That I Knit”.

At first I thought, “That’s something I can do, easy!”

Then, after a few false starts and falser (is that even a word??) endings, my wise hubby said I should knit what I know: slippers.  So, here they are, my own original Cozy Toes slippers, modeled by my Kyra.


I’m entering my slipper pattern in the contest, but whether or not I win, or get any recognition whatsoever, knowing that “Shit That I Knit” exists lifts my heart. I’m in awe of their audacity, encouraged by their bravery, and humbled by all the shit they’re doing to uplift so many lives. God bless.

I guess the final take-away here is that no matter what you’re going through, you’re not the only one. You’re not alone. Somebody gives a shit. I know I do.

Peace,

Sara